Craig is located 31 miles from Clark Bay ferry terminal and 7 miles from Klawock, on the western shore of Prince of Wales Island in Southeast Alaska.
Visitor Information: See website at www.craigak.com.
Named for founder Craig Millar, who established a saltery and cold storage facility here in the early 1900s, Craig was incorporated in 1922. Today, it is the largest city on the island and offers most services on Craig, Prince of Wales Island. There are half a-dozen places to eat, from pizza places to bakery/cafes/food trucks; 2 banks; supermarket and liquor stores; gas stations, pro- pane and auto repair; and several gift shops featuring local handmade and cultural crafts. Find camping, fishing, hunting and outdoor gear at Log Cabin Sporting Goods, 1 Easy Street.
Lodging and services
Accommodations at Sunnahae Hotel, Shelter Cove Lodge, Catch-A-King Lodge and bed-and-breakfasts. The nearest campground is Stryker Bay Adventures in Klawock. There is an RV dump station located on Cold Storage Road, behind the Craig Alaska Commercial Company grocery/liquor store. Craig Aquatic Center is open year-round with full-size pool, fitness room, hot tub, and sauna.
Craig has 2 boat harbors, North Cove and South Cove, located on either side of the causeway crossed by the Craig–Klawock–Hollis Highway where it merges with Water Street. The harbor is a nice place for visitors to stroll, take in the local atmosphere and watch for bald eagles along the waterfront. Craig also has a seaplane float, fuel dock, city dock and float, 2 fish-buying docks and a historic cannery dock. The Craig harbormaster’s office, which offers public showers and restrooms, is located on the corner close to South Cove; phone 907-826-3404, VHF Channel 16.
Craig is the home port of many commercial fishing and charter sportfishing boats that fish for halibut, coho and chinook salmon and lingcod.