Manley Hot Springs is located at the end of the Elliott Highway, 161 miles northwest of Fairbanks.
A pocket of “Pioneer Alaska.” J.F. Karshner homesteaded here in 1902, about the same time the U.S. Army Signal Corps established a telegraph station nearby.
Frank Manley built the 4-story Resort Hotel here in 1907. The population peaked at about 1,000 in 1910, as the village became a trading center for nearby Eureka and Tofty mining districts. In 1913, the hotel burned down. By 1950, the population was down to 29 as mining waned. The settlement’s name was changed to Manley Hot Springs in 1957.
Today, Manley Hot Springs is a quiet settlement with gardening, hunting and fishing helping to sustain many residents. The Manley Trading Post (grocery, post office) and a gas station with propane are located a short drive beyond Manley Roadhouse by the old airstrip (now a tie-down area for planes). Meals, a bar and overnight accommodations are available at the Manley Roadhouse; phone (907) 672-3161.
Manley Roadhouse dates back to 1903, and is one of Alaska’s oldest original roadhouses from the gold rush era.
Tent camping, picnic area and playground beside lodge. Tent/RV sites, picnic tables, firepits, outhouse and boat launch across street. Pay $5 camping fee at the roadhouse. Showers are available at the roadhouse for a fee. The washeteria at Milepost FX 148.3 has showers and a laundry.
- Annual 4th of July celebration here, featuring a community feed and boat races on the slough.
- Salmon fishing on the Tanana River.