The Whittier Army Port Historic District Walking Tour is located in the original townsite area on the south side of the rail yard. It can be accessed from the waterfront area of town via the pedestrian tunnel under the railway, located across from the ferry terminal.
Whittier’s history as a Cold War Army Port is recounted on signs affixed to the empty concrete structures and to Begich Towers that have survived since 1948. Walking tour map with a short history of Whittier is located at the P-12 Motor Pool building across the street from the pedestrian tunnel.
Photo by Sharon Leighow.