The Kodiak History Museum, operated by the Kodiak Historical Society, is located in the oldest building in Alaska. It was built in 1805–1808 as a warehouse by the Russian American Company. It is the oldest Russian-built structure in the United States. Purchased by the Alaska Commercial Co. around 1867, it was sold to a prominent Kodiak businessman, W.J. Erskine, in 1911; the Erskine family lived there for more than 30 years. In 1962, it was declared a National Historic Landmark, and opened as a museum in 1967.
Photo by Serine Reeves.